The Oyster House today is the vision of Sam Mink, the third generation of the Mink family in the restaurant business. It began in 1947 when Samuel Mink, Sam's grandfather bought Kelly's on Mole Street. His son, David, opened the Sansom Street Oyster House in 1976. And now Sam, David's son is transforming that restaurant into the OYSTER HOUSE.
Kelly's on Mole Street opened in 1901 and was a typical Philadelphia oyster bar. There were many such places scattered all over the city. Noted for fresh seafood at reasonable prices, oyster bars served the masses. Kelly's, a Philadelphia institution, was originally located where Center Square is today, and had a reputation for being the gathering place of lawyers, judges and politicos from City Hall.
Sam Mink died in 1969 and David Mink took over. However, a few years later the family sold the business. In 1976 David opened Sansom Street Oyster House which was modeled on the original concept of fresh seafood at reasonable prices. The Sansom Street Oyster House enjoyed great success, expanding in 1986 and remodeled in 1999. The business was sold outside the Mink family in 2000 and David retired.
The business is back in the hands of the Mink family. The space is the vision of Sam, David's son, the new owner. At the Oyster House, the Mink family continues the mission of serving Philadelphians fresh seafood at reasonable prices. Sam also strives to use local ingredients whenever possible and to present the Oyster House classic dishes with a modern fresh taste.… Read More